Hola Folks!

I found this ASTOUNDING item in an article about a Thai science fair...the reporter needs a baseball bat up the side of his head for not digging much deeper into the claims of this 12 year olds project!

I can't think of any simple way to pull hydrogen from AIR since it is so light and disappears. More likely this kid is MAKING HYDROGEN with some electrolysis unit or water arc.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/06Nov2005_news02.php

11/09/05 - Thai Student invents hydrogen from air separator for cars

(This is the only information I could find about this kids invention on the net. Definitely worth tracking down!!! JWD)

More innovative designs won prizes in the upper primary school category. First prize went to a physicist-aspirant Witawin Jongjatuporn, 12, of Triam Udom Suksa Pattanakarn School, whose brainchild is a car which runs on air.

The propeller in the rear sucks in air and separates the hydrogen to fill up the tank, heralding an age of ''perennially renewable energy.''
----------------------
Would someone please tell me how you extract hydrogen this easily from ambient air? And on the budget this kid would be using?

I thought it might be a reporting error, that the kid was pulling in nitrogen which is 78% of our air, but it doesn't burn, though the article doesn't say if it burns (hydrogen) or expands (liquid nitrogen) to drive the pistons of the car.
------------------
http://www.fuelcellmarkets.com/article_default_view.fcm?articleid=3064&subsite=453

Hydrogen is a major constituent of the stars, and is the third most abundant element on Earth where it is concentrated in water and hydrocarbons.

But unlike nitrogen and oxygen the other mainstay gases used in industry hydrogen is only present in small amounts in air.

So instead of extracting hydrogen from air, industrial gases companies like BOC use a number of manufacturing methods.

As a result of this situation, several large-scale processes have been developed for the production of hydrogen from fossil fuels and from water. These processes are generically called steam reforming. The feed stock is generally of natural gas or the partial oxidation of hydrogen from heavy fuel oil or coal. Hydrogen can also be made as a secondary energy carrier from chlorine-alkaline electrolysis or the low pressure electrolysis of water.
--------------------
http://www.acnatsci.org/education/kye/te/kye9.00.html

Hydrogen can be derived from water and used to conveniently store energy derived from renewable electric sources like wind and solar power. Obtained in this manner, hydrogen is, in theory, limitless. Fossil fuels are finite. Sources of hydrogen are not at the mercy of political turmoil.

Production of hydrogen itself remains challenge. Because pure hydrogen must be derived from other sources, obtaining it requires energy and can have environmental impacts.

Reformers processing natural gas, for example, tend to produce carbon dioxide. Researchers have been looking at low energy chemical and even biological processes for producing hydrogen, but these remain far in the future.
and then there is the bio fuel cell that does take hydrogen from the air;

http://doublecode.com/hydrogen/2005_10_01_archive.php

University fuel cell extracts hydrogen from air

"The prospect of running small devices on electricity generated from a simple fuel cell running on atmospheric hydrogen and oxygen has been raised by research at the University of Oxford. Professor Fraser Armstrong used an enzyme rather than an expensive platinum catalyst to promote the oxidation of hydrogen, and his biofuel cell generated electricity with no membrane  conventionally used to separate the reactants in the cell. It also worked in the presence of carbon monoxide, which poisons most catalysts. For small applications, maybe even nano[scale], our fuel cell will produce electricity from just traces of hydrogen in air, said Armstrong. Thats really novel because you cant do that with any conventional fuel cell, you need a membrane." Source: electronicsweekly.com

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2005/10/25/36699/Universityfuelcellextractshydrogenfromair.htm

--
              Jerry Decker - http://www.keelynet.com
Donations to support KeelyNet: http://www.keelynet.com/donate1.htm