Hello. I've been studying how easy or difficult it would be to produce supplemental automobile fuel through the use of water electrolysis and gas production for my car. Seems fairly straight forward. I plan to route the hydrogen/oxygen (Browns' Gas) into my air cleaner where it will mix with the gasoline/air mixture already in place. (My car has an old-fashioned single barrel carburetor and no on-board computer.) This contraption will be similar in construction to those being currently offered for sale on ebay. By combining the H & O with the gasoline in the intake manifold before combustion, I hope to reduce embrittlement caused by the hydrogen interacting with the steel in the piston chambers. I also hope to decrease the gasoline required to run the engine while also producing electricity for electrolysis by way of the stock car generator.

Here's the game plan: I'll build a 2 quart container out of PVC plastic pipe to house the Brown's gas generator. I'll use concentric circles of metal mesh within the hydrogen generator to set up alternate terminals with maximum surface exposure for gas bubble production. I'll allow the resulting Brown's Gas to collect and build up a small amount of pressure, enough to force its way through a fire arrestor and into the air cleaner housing to be used as fuel.

I'll put the 12 volt car electricity going into the gas generator on a circuit that can only be accessed while the car is running. I'll also put a simple switch to over-ride the gas generator and turn it off if needed while the car is running. My few experiments on the work bench shows that half a cup of battery acid mixed into the water within the gas generator allows for more electric flow which produces much more gas production than straight water. Or baking soda mixed into the water increases current strength through the electrolysis machine as well. I may run a heater coil from the car radiator through the gas generator to increase the water temperature within if experiments or quick internet research in water temp vs. gas production indicate increased production.

My fear is that my 15 amp. electric generator in the car won't offer enough electricity to make it all fly. I've read on Keelynet that experiments in pulsed square wave forms of high voltage and low amperage seem to enhance decomposition of water. Since I'm a dullard with electronics, I'll either have to have the control board made or try to suffer soldering the components myself. However, hooking up a couple of 30 kv automotive spark coils and making them charge wire mesh electrodes underwater seems like fun. A simple set of points and a condenser hooked up to a small bench motor should give me a steady supply of high voltage. I wonder if it will work? Regardless, I'm about to build my first electrolysis chamber and will post results as they come in.

It seems to make sense that a repeated high voltage spike will rip the electron bonds of H2O in a different way than straight 12 volt voltage.