Hola Dave et al!

NEVER USE ACETONE in an engine...it will mess up the seals, gaskets,
etc...it has been outlawed in the Phillipines...refer to the recent news
article on KeelyNet about it DESTROYING engines.

Toluene, yes...

Mothballs, YES if you don't use too many...I have been using 1:4 in my
1996 Ranger for nearly 4 months now....was getting from 18-22mpg, with
mothballs, I get around 30-35mpg!!!  And it runs better than ever, has
more power and I can climb the mountains on my weekly trips to nearby
towns.  Been to Goodyear twice and they said the motor is in very good
condition for a 1996.

The problem is some people use WAY TOO MANY mothballs....the original
recommendation was 1 ball for 4 gallons...thats what I've been using.

They will carbonize the engine if you use too many and require repairs.

I think you have that wrong about the tailgate DOWN degrading
mileage..its running your pickup with the tailgate UP that produces the
resistance to lower your mpg...

Thats why they have the NET gate that lets air pass through it, but
tonneau cover is even better.  Living in central Mexico, I just load it
up with Mexicans wanting a lift and let them be the airfoil....<lol>....

Nos vemos!

Dave Narby wrote:
Hey Mark,

Dude... DUDE... Skip the mothballs. Naphtha will eventually screw up your engine.

Try adding 1-2 more oz of acetone per 10 gallons. The sweet spot seems to be 3 oz, some people do better w/a little more or less.

Also try 7-10 ounces of toluene or xylene and advancing the timing (toluene is used commercially as an octane booster, xylene is very similar, and both are 50-75% cheaper if you add them in yourself as opposed to paying for the 'pre-blended' mix at the pump).

Try the Mobil 15k synthetic oil. You change it less and it costs the same as running cheapo oil.
Add 4 oz of Torco MZP engine assembly lube to your gearbox.

Also, try a chin spoiler.  This will block air from your undercarriage.

Do all that and you'll probably have a 33MPG 59 Edsel.

Dave

PS running your truck with the tailgate down degrades MPGs. Running a tonneau cover (even a 1/2 cover from the cab back) increases MPGs.

    from Jerry Decker @ http://www.keelynet.com
   Order out of Chaos - From an Art to a Science
  Donations : http://www.keelynet.com/donate1.htm
Books/Videos : http://www.keelynet.com/products.htm
              MexiStim Energy Stimulator
  http://www.keelynet.com/mexistim/nexcrock.htm