>> I'm not using X11 at the moment, so it doesn't matter much to me,
>> but this sounds like a significant issue.
>
> Note that you will *not* see that regression if you're coming from Qt
> 4.8. The raster engine is the default in 4.8 already. The native engine
> was default in 4.7 and before.

Hm - my posting from the Qwt list hijacked without any further indication
to a completely different list ???

Anyway - which paint engine is used for Qt4.8 on X11 is a matter of
configuration.

F.e. in my profile you find the line "export QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=native".
Everybody who has a use case where the X11 paint engine counts ( for Qwt
it is drawing of polylines ) probably does something similar. So this is
not a question of a default setting - with Qt5 an option is gone.

About remote desktops:

my environment for the last years was a noisy system in the basement and
a really slow but silent system in the room where I'm working. I was
using NX for the remote desktop. With Qt5 this combination has become
hard to use: falling curtains instead of fast responses.

So I had to buy a new system - fast, but without fans - to have a
comfortable local desktop environment again ...

> There is no QWS in Qt 5. It's replaced with QPA.

But when comparing QPA/5.0 with QWS/4.8, what does it mean in terms of
improvement/regression for a user today ?

Uwe