On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:13:33 -0400, K. Frank wrote:

> Did this "detour" (for lack of a better word) end up being helpful?

Nokia was not interested in the desktop and the previous user base. IMHO
this had 3 effects:

a) LGPL

Good and bad: the business case of selling support licenses is dead
( almost all Qt developers are payed  ), what is IMO one of the reasons
behind the missing resources.

b) Symbian

Only bad - nobody was interested beside Nokia - and has been removed
again with Qt5.

c) QML

No migration path from C++/Widgets with the result, that almost all
existing projects are not interested. With Qt 5.1 QML might have become
an option for a desktop application - but to be honest I never heard of
one.

The existence of 2 different systems is a problem of itself. The
development is working on the QML side, while the majority of the user
base is doing widgets.

For me as an author of a 3rd party lib it means I have to deal with 2
different platforms. The opposite of "code once ..." what used to be the
mantra of Qt in the TrollTech days.

Uwe