On 03/04/2016 11:24 AM, André Somers wrote:

Op 04/03/2016 om 13:20 schreef william.croc...@analog.com:
On 03/04/2016 03:06 AM, Roshni Lalwani wrote:
I have application in which I am planning to use a QtreeWidget . The maxinum
number of elements in the treeWidget can go uptp 500 . COuld you let me how will
be performance of using QtreeWidget for 500 elements . Will it lead to some
performance degradation

Use a QTreeView with an underlying model and performance of the tree widget
will no longer be a concern.

I said that performance of "the tree widget" would no longer be a concern.

:-)

If a tree had a large number of node, I would not use a tree widget for the high
time-0, O(N) load time. The beauty of the view/model approach is that the view
will
only request information on a small number of indexes at any given time and,
correspondingly, the underlying model would only have to service a small number
of indexes at any given time. Especially at time 0.

Nonsense.
It all depends on your implementation of the model then, and writing good tree
models is not trivial. I agree that generally a "real" model is much to be
prefered, but your statement as-is doesn't make much sense to me.

I think the merrits of QTreeWidget (and all the view like Q*Widget classes) is
debatable, but I don't think performance is the major pain point here. I would
recommend to consider using QStandardItemModel with a QTreeView instead if you
like the item-based API that much. Also, consider wrapping it up in your own
model subclass with a sane API that suits your application, instead of filling
and accessing your model from different places in otherwise unrelated code. This
will make it easier to swap out the QStandardItemModel based model for a custom
model later on if needed.

André