On 4/3/2016 1:41 PM, Emre Besirik wrote:
On 03 Apr 2016, at 22:18, Bob Hood <bho...@comcast.net <mailto:bho...@comcast.net>> wrote:

On 4/3/2016 12:07 PM, Emre Besirik wrote:
Hello list,
I know its a little bit off-topic but I was wondering your ideas about the unpleasentness of coding with QtCreator (no offense, I respect the creators of the original IDE but..) So there is this; https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/CPP-318 (in case you didn’t know already) do you support it?
Do you also find it a littlebit unpleasent to code in QtCreator like me?

Actually, no I don't. Quite the contrary. It has actually saved me when I've had to leave Visual Studio to work on OS X and Linux, because--with the right keyboard mapping--it is the closest cross-platform thing I've yet found to the "feel" of Visual Studio, where I spend most of my days.

So, I do not agree with you at all. In may ways, I consider QtCreator to be my home-away-from-home.

Have you ever tried ANY jetbrains product? I do mean just for few days but really trying...

I have used PyCharm, but honestly, having a separate IDE just for Python is not practical since I can develop/debug Python right along side C/C++ in Visual Studio using an add-in. If I needed to do so on a non-Windows platform, then I might not necessarily choose QtCreator.

I'm not saying the JetBrains wares are not good--quite the contrary--but since I'm a Qt developer, and I have used Visual Studio for decades, the choice of QtCreator for non-Windows platforms is a no-brainer. And it's free, just like JetBrains' offerings (with the right license).

But be aware that you're talking to somebody who has written whole applications using nothing but vi and a command prompt. I'm certainly not a /connoisseur/of IDEs. ;)