To answer my own question:

- this is a traditional, unbundled application (KIO's kiod5); I set LSUIElement
programmatically
- in a comparable application (kwalletd5) that uses the same password dialog
class this is enough
- in kiod5 I need to confirm the "agent" nature by calling [NSApp
setActivationPolicy:NSApplicationActivationPolicyAccessory] just before calling
QApplication::exec().

Apparently something between my the creation of the QApplication instance (=
after setting LSUIElement) and QApplication::exec() does something that
confuses
the OS. [NSApp activationPolicy] still returns
NSApplicationActivationPolicyAccessory so there's something wonky going on here.

R.