On 26/10/2017 11:21 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 October 2017 14:47:43 PDT Christian Gagneraud wrote:
Considering the contents of that website change very frequently, I'd
assume
that the reason is either that there's no point indexing something that
becomes stale quickly or that they want to reduce the workload on the
server caused by the indexing (remember: everything is generated).

I do understand that they want to reduce the server load, but it would
be nice to be able to search from google et al ('git grep' is one thing,
'google grep' is another).

When I answered your email, i would have liked to give a link, because i
find these sort of things very interesting indeed. Unfortunately a quick
googling didn't return anything, and i couldn't remember where exactly i
saw the "relocation by patching the binaries", i'm pretty sure it was a
python script in Boot2Qt.

Sorry, nothing replaces having a local copy if you don't know for sure what
you're looking for. Today, I spent half an hour figuring out where the
different /dev/random implementations are on FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD and
macOS. They're all indexed in fxr.watson.org, but the macOS copy there is
stale. So I went to opensource.apple.com and GitHub. Even knowing the exact
function name I'm looking for (read_random), I can't find it online.

And note how GitHub isn't indexed either:
https://www.google.com/search?q=read_random+site%3Agithub.com%2Fopensource-apple%2Fxnu

Interesting "read_random site:github.com/apple/darwin-xnu" returns 6 results. One of them points to bsd/sys/random.h, is this your missing include? ;P

Maybe the forked repo is too new (created on the 1st of october), or maybe google indexes only "big orgs".

Chris

github content is indexed, and they even have their own search engine
with REST API, and a new GraphQL API it seems

Doesn't appear to be the case for everything, as shown above.

The query "qabstractitemmodel site:github.com" on google return 1870
results for example.
You can even try "qabstractitemmodel site:github.com/qt"

Having said that, yes the content changes all the time, so (google)
results are somehow volatile, still they tend to point you in the right
direction. I sometimes found interesting git repos this way, that I then
clone, grep, study, and sometimes end up contributing back.

And I found out that read_random() is now a system call on FreeBSD, bypassing
the ARC4 algorithm, and that getentropy() does exist on macOS and on Solaris,
and that Qt check is just missing an #include.

PS: I don't get what you mean by "everything is generated", do you mean
that HTML is generated on the fly w/o caching?

Yes.