Which isn't really a Qt answer.

Long ago, before Nokia, there was the mantra/design principal that Qt would always be compatible with the standard stuff. A subset of means "compatible" is written with barely readable faint gray ink.

Just my 0.00002. I can only remember twice on projects where the inability to set the sort for a QMap hurt me. It hurt bad both times so I remember the hurt, but not what caused it.