Well, I think this needs some historial context. Remember Nokia and how they wanted Qt to be the /de facto/ SDK for their mobile SO? QWidgets + phones? Not that great of a deal... Now update that story to Android or whatever, and Widgets aren't an answer for mobile development. It makes sense QML/Quick is what it is.

What doesn't make sense, to me at least, is how QQC*1* seemed to have had a better feature set for the desktop than QQC*2*. I mean, one would expect progress, not regression... But oh well.

QML/Quick, for me, seems to need a lot of work for the desktop. Also, it seems it's make for "flat", low density UIs. Yesterday I was presented with this: https://ossia.io/ . Look how good it looks (https://ossia.io/assets/score.png)! Holy damn, an that's widgets. And that's a proper desktop productivity application. I mean, if we look at like NeoChat (https://matrix.org/docs/projects/client/neo-chat/), which is made with KDE Kirigami (a Qt Quick framework extension), or the Telegram desktop application, they look all nice and all, but they lack the density.

Real productivity applications, that are to be mouse operated, and have desktop-first (and only) oriented designs have density. Look at Solidworks, look at EagleCAD, look at QtCreator of all things! Even vscode, which is an electron app, has the extra UI density needed for productivity on desktop. I mean, I'm writing this in Mozilla Thunderbird, and any "modern" client, with a "flat" UI would have half, or even less, the information density, at the gain of what? Nice screenshots?

And I use Windows, so I know very much first hand how low density "flat UI" is useless for any real work.

I don't know much, if anything, about design, but I am indeed a user of a computer, it's easy to see what makes me more productive or not.

As always, anything I do is an invitation for comments.

Rui