HI Jason,

I'm pretty sure this is NOT valid JSON:

  {"that": "other": {} }

Either the value and comma for "that" is missing, or "other": {} should be encapsulated as an object in braces as the value of "that".

Regards, Tony

On 2/06/2021 12:29 am, Jason H wrote:
Some JSON serialisers replace that with null nowadays.

I guess you could write some code to test whether it’s cyclical
and at which elements it recurses. If you feel not up to it,
write back and I’ll try (ECMAscript is not a language I feel
comfortable in either but I think I could manage).

Well, if it were cyclical (I really don't think it is),  I would expect that
the line:
return QJsonDocument::fromVariant(v).toJson(QJsonDocument::Compact);

Would never return. However it does, and it gives me the exact string I would
expect.
So I'm still at a loss there.

The object does contain an empty object, could that be it? For example:
{"that": "other": {} }