--- Jakob Peterhansel wrote:
We have just deployed some new SonicWall TZ 190 Wireless firewalls,
that has a failover function on a 3G (PC Card) port.
When this failover is not used, it disconnects the link, and shows the
link as 'down'.

Now, that is technically right, but from an operational point it's
more Administratively down, or should simply be ignored.

Would it be possible to suggest either a general 'mark interface as
failover to interface X' functionality, or could this be a special
probe that has this functionality?
--- end of quote ---

Thanks for the good question. I have been thinking about how InterMapper should
display warnings for individual interfaces, and this plays into it. There seem
to be two aspects:

1)      Per-interface utilization and error rate thresholds
(warning/alarm/critical).
These would change the halo/backgrounds on the links when the traffic exceeds
the specified % utilization/error rate.

2)      The ability to ignore errors, discards, and outages for each interface.
They
would mirror (and override) the per-device settings in the "Set Behavior"
window.

Open Questions:

-       How should alerts/notifications be tied to traffic thresholds? If
traffic
exceeds the link's threshold, should the device status *always* change to
warning/alarm/critical? Should it always send a notification?

-       How should default thresholds be set? A 56kbps frame relay link would
have
vastly different utilization and error thresholds than a 100Mbps ethernet, which
might still be different from an OC192... I think we need to apply a sensible
set of defaults automatically to the various kinds of links, and make it easy
for customers to change them.

-       Failover/backup links. In some sense, it's *good* that a backup link is
down,
and it might be notable if the link ever comes up - because that means that the
primary link has failed. (My initial thought is that this is a special case, and
should be handled by a separate "interface up" probe that alerts if the
interface goes up. Once we have multiple probes per icon, these could be
combined...)

I welcome any feedback. Thanks!

Rich Brown                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dartware, LLC                 http://www.dartware.com
10 Buck Road, PO Box 130      Telephone: 603-643-9600
Hanover, NH 03755-0130 USA    Fax: 603-643-2289