Is this fix really causing this much grief? Throwing an E_NOTICE isn't a BC
break. It still works as before, it just throws the E_NOTICEs now. This was
meant to be a bridge to the behaviour used in PHP 5, which, like other
array_*() functions, doesn't work on non-arrays at all. (Although that fix
for PHP 5 is debatable, I suppose.)

The function is called array_merge(), not null_merge() or string_merge().
The change was to make it act more like other array functions, like
array_intersect() or array_sum(), which also check parameters for arrays.

What's the consensus? Keep the change or revert? Personally, I think it's
more consistent if it acts like the other array functions, but if it's
causing a lot of headaches...

Just a thought -- perhaps keep it in for the first 4.3.4 RC and gauge the
reaction and go from there?