On 19 November 2003 20:34, Steph wrote:

> > Not to branch the discussion, but again: if we never plan on
> > removing functions, why go to the trouble of deprecating them?
> > Deprecation implies it will be removed.
> >

> .. and as Andi said earlier, removal without loud and clear warning
> will break thousands of scripts out there.  Making users do something
> special if they want to use their old code, is a much kinder option.
> It might also kick people into updating those scripts before the
> deprecated functions actually die.

IMHO, progress from deprecated to removal should go through phases of increasing
warning severity:

(1) the proposed E_STRICT (or E_DEPRECATED) which will emit a "silent" warning.

(2) a noisy warning -- at, say, E_WARNING level, which should catch most test servers
but still be maskable on production boxes.  (This could even have its own new warning
level of, say, E_UNSUPPORTED.)

(3) removal of the feature with an E_ERROR message.

My 2-pennorth would be that (1) and (3) should only happen at an X.0.0 release, with
(2) ocurring somewhere suitable in between.

Cheers!

Mike

Beckett Park, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]