Are you sure this is OK? It seems strange that string offsets don't need any unlocking. It might mean we have a problem someplace else and that you're fixing the cause and not the source of the problem (although I haven't had time to dig deep).
In general, consider the following code:
$a = "Foo";

switch ($a[0]) {
        case 'b':
                break;
        case 'c':
                break;
        case 'F':
                break;
}

Are you sure this doesn't leak now? I don't have time to look at it now, but if you are absolutely convinced the patch makes sense I'll try and step through it with a debugger as soon as I have some free time.

BTW, thanks for taking a look at it.
Andi