Zeev Suraski wrote:

At 18:20 11/02/2004, Shane Caraveo wrote:

Zeev Suraski wrote:

At 17:27 11/02/2004, Shane Caraveo wrote:

Arguments for this have been gone over in the past and generaly 'security issues' and 'memory usage' are used as reasons to not change the way it works, both being generaly bogus. The only reason it isn't fixed is reliance on php.ini.

Sorry Shane, but that's just wrong, and I am doing my best to avoid using more powerful words :)

More powerful words for what reason? That's just lame.

Well, when you say that what I said in the past is bogus, I don't particularly enjoy reading that. I think that was pretty lame, so I refrained from doing the same and just said that it was on the tip of my tongue...

Ok, you're right, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be insulting, but rather to emphasize my disagreement with those opinions.

By the way - dl() is trivial to implement if we were to go down your path, and make dl()'s persist forever. However, that's exactly where the problem is coming from - it completely doesn't fit the theme of PHP (not to mention the security and resource usage concerns, which are completely valid, but secondary). It wouldn't have helped in the various cases that were brought up on internals@ today and in the past, because they originated mostly in users' abilities to load modules dynamically AND in an isolated manner, like everything else in PHP, not just being able to load modules outside of php.ini. I know you're in a personal vendetta against php.ini, but I don't think most people care about it that much...

I think dl usage is specific to a particular type of setup, application and personality of developer. I don't think dl is necessarily suitable for ISP's, and think that ISP's should seriously consider disabling dl altoghether, even now as it currently exists. However, ISP's can also only make shared extensions available if they want, and this can be configured at the system level for security and in seperate php.ini's per host for different directories. It all depends on the situation and what the ISP is willing or wants to do. The problem is that the current state of dl is not optimal for *any* usage.

Yes, I have a personal issue with php.ini. It can change the behaviour of PHP significantly, which makes application development on top of PHP more difficult. There are *very* legit reasons for having the ini file, but I think it is overused and abused.

Shane