> On Mar 9, 2020, at 9:36 PM, Matthew Brown <matthewmatt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Saying "the syntax makes my eyes bleed" is slightly useless feedback.

That was just a header.  There was elaboration right below it:

"I find angle brackets extremely hard to read and fear — having trained many
newbies in programming — that it will cause newbies who see PHP to think it is
too complex for them to consider learning."

And there was a proposed alternative.

> You could say "it's hard to scan", but I don't even think that's true –
> prepending everything << makes it easy to pick out attributes in plain text
> at a glance,

Not for me.  Seeing the word "attributes" is far easier for me than seeing "<<"
and ">>."

I do of course understand YMMV.

> Additionally this syntax has effectively been battle-tested at scale already
> in PHP-like codebases – thousands of engineers at Facebook and Slack have
> used it over the last few years, and been productive with it.

Yeah, developers who have been vetted by two very successful tech companies.

Something tells me neither of them hire moderately-to-lower skilled developers
who work in the trenches at many non high-flying tech companies, nor do they
hire newbies who are trying to decide if they should learn PHP, or learn
Javascript/Typescript instead (for example.)

Just registering my objection to the syntax and proposing a readable
alternative.  I would be highly surprised if there were not many others in
userland who would feel the same.  But of course I unfortunately have no way of
validating that belief.

-Mike