On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 12:38 PM Chase Peeler <chasepee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, is there any reason we couldn't add an optional
> parameter called "$short_array" or whatever that defaults to false? Then
> there shouldn't be any backwards compatibility issues.
>
> None at all, though I'd make it an `int $options = 0` similar to
json_encode().  I'd have a FAR easier time supporting that than a wholesale
BC break for the sake of breaking BC.

I can think of a few options:
  VAR_EXPORT_SHORT_ARRAY => use [] instead of arrray()
  VAR_EXPORT_NO_WHITESPACE => Keep it concise, single line
  VAR_EXPORT_NO_VECTOR_INDEX => If an array is vector-like, skip indexes
  VAR_EXPORT_UTF8_UESCAPE => Detect places where we can use \u{1234} syntax
for UTF8 strings

Though I'm going to stay with my stated position that I would MUCH rather
this stuff live in userspace.  Just because PHP's penchant for
including the kitchen sink is broken already doesn't mean we should break
it more.

-Sara

-Sara