> On May 7, 2020, at 10:38 PM, Stanislav Malyshev <smalys...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> One of the primary reasons for many of us — or at least me — to want
>> more things in core is not listed above, and that reason is:
>>
>> - Standardization
>
> Core and standardization are completely different things.

I agree that they can be viewed as two different things.

> There are a lot of things in PHP that are being standardized
> out of core, and putting something into core just for
> standardization is the wrong place to do it.

However, it is the defect-standardization of knowing a feature will be
available that motivates my request.

While I certainly understand and respect your opinion, your opinion does not
stop me (and likely others) from wanting defecto-standardization.

Yes people always want things, but this thing is actually a meta thing so it is
different. This thing could address a wide swath of wants in the community
_and_ minimize the pressure for additions to the C++ based core.

> To me, this feature clearly looks at something that belongs to
> userspace,

That does not address the objective: defecto-standardization of
always-available functionality.

> and magic that it introduces

Requiring a `use` statement would be fine. It does not have to be "magic."

The key would be to have the functionality accessible via only PHP code.

> but in some kind of module, or even better, IDE.

Having to use a specific IDE, to use Composer, or otherwise actively seek out
and download this library also does not address the objective.

Please, if you will, take this as user feedback on PHP where a userland PHP
developer is saying the DX (developer experience) would be a lot better if PHP
had a standard library we could assume is always there.

> Putting sematic
> features like deprecation into runtime is not right, if deprecated code
> got into runtime, putting out a warning each time it is run is useless.
> If nobody looked at these warnings before they got to production, surely
> nobody will look at them after.

That is unrelated. I was not addressing deprecation in this thread.

-Mike

P.S. I forgot to mention Larry Garfield's post on this subject. His post caused
me to think of writing this thread, so here it is:

https://externals.io/message/109972#110071w