Hello internals,

I want to start a discussion on an RFC to add a declare() statement to
convert all errors triggered within a file to exceptions.

Currently, the only way to handle notices/warnings in an exception-like
manner is via set_error_handler, (for example, example #1 on
https://www.php.net/errorexception) - however this has several
disadvantages (in particular, it cannot be safely used in libraries without
affecting other libraries).  The declare() would only affect code on the
particular PHP file for which the declare was set to 1, in the same way
that strict_types only affects code on a particular PHP file.  I have
listed error_exception, error_exceptions, and strict_errors as potential
names for the declare(), although I don't feel that any of them clearly and
succinctly describe what is happening here (if anyone has a better name I'm
certainly interested).

As I do not have wiki karma, I have posted a draft RFC here:
https://github.com/iggyvolz/php-rfcs/blob/master/error-exceptions.txt.  A
partially complete patch is linked at the bottom of the draft (very much
based off the strict_types patch).

Thanks,
Katie Volz