On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 11:11 AM Lester Caine <les...@lsces.uk> wrote:

> On 08/06/2020 09:44, Marco Pivetta wrote:
> > I was mostly conflicted around the "allow grouped attributes" bit, but
> > James Titcumb (who currently cannot write to this list due to bounced
> > emails) convinced me that it is a good replacement for `/**` and `*/`:
>
> If twenty years of documentation provided by docblocks is to be replaced
> there has to be a compelling reason to do so and while this latest drive
> for yet another documentation method seems to be now a fate acompli
> there WAS no reason to replace that perfectly acceptable documentation!

Attributes are not documentation (they could theoretically be used for it,
but its not the intented use-case).

Attributes are supposed to be used with Runtime Reflection to have an
effect on the program.

Their existence does not supersede docblocks, only the use of docblocks for
meta-programming (essentially doing what Attributes allows with docblocks).