On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 2:17 AM Marco Pivetta <ocram...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Ilija,
>
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 9:10 PM Ilija Tovilo <tovilo.il...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi internals
> >
> > I created a new RFC for reserving keywords we might need in PHP 8.x
> > versions.
> > https://wiki.php.net/rfc/reserve_keywords_in_php_8
> >
> > Let me know if there's something you'd like to work on that will
> > require a keyword and I will add it to the list. The keywords will
> > most likely be voted on separately.
> >

> This seems messy now, mostly because the `enum` symbol is very much in use
> in very stable packages:
>
>  * https://packagist.org/packages/marc-mabe/php-enum/stats
>  * https://packagist.org/packages/myclabs/php-enum/stats
>
> Greets,
>
> Marco Pivetta
>
> http://twitter.com/Ocramius
>
> http://ocramius.github.com/

How viable would be a compilation warning when a `T_STRING` is `enum`?
I'm sure for the most part authors would much rather have enums in
core than to maintain their own, though I haven't looked at
implementations to see how "exotic" they are. If it's a warning then
we can manage until it's implemented and the software can continue
working but nobody will have to invest more time into it.