Hi Chris,

On 26/07/2020 14:52, Chris Riley wrote:
Thanks for the feedback so far. In light of the feedback received both here
and privately, I've made 3 changes to the RFC document

Firstly, a reminder of the guideline in the RFC howto that the link to the RFC should be included in replies, which is particularly relevant when announcing changes to the text. For others trying to find it, it is here: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/renamed_parameters

Secondly, regardless of the merits of your proposal in itself, I think an RFC in this position should explicitly state why it is proposing to re-visit an accepted feature. I can think of a handful of possible reasons, but none seem to apply:

- If new concerns have come to light which are likely to change the opinion of those who voted Yes. This is not the case for the concerns in your introduction. - If the RFC passed only by a narrow margin, or a low turnout, and this version is expected to gain a larger majority. The RFC passed with a ratio of 3:1, with 75 votes cast [1]. - If the RFC discussion was rushed, so that people did not have adequate time to understand the proposal and discuss its implications. The RFC was informally resurrected at the start of April [2] and formally at the start of May [3] and saw plenty of discussion. - If there is evidence that people voted Yes despite reservations that this proposal resolves. No evidence is presented of this, and the only message of that sort in the voting thread expressed reservations unrelated to this proposal. [4] - If there is evidence that (a significant number of) people who voted Yes have now changed their minds having re-considered the implications. No evidence is presented of this.

As Benjamin says, the pragmatic way forward would be to discuss enhancements on top of the accepted feature, rather than last-minute alternatives to it.

[1] This appears to be the second highest turnout after Scalar Type Declarations, according to https://php-rfc-watch.beberlei.de/
[2] https://externals.io/message/109549
[3] https://externals.io/message/110004
[4] https://externals.io/message/110910#110961