On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 12:18 AM Michał Marcin Brzuchalski <
michal.brzuchal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> niedz., 26 lip 2020, 06:22 użytkownik Michael Morris <tendo...@gmail.com>
> napisał:
>
>> PHP's ini values are already a bit of a mess.  You have a global php.ini
>> file, and then most PHP ini directives can be set per directory using the
>> .htaccess file.  About a third can be set at runtime. This makes tracking
>> down where a setting came from a bit of a headache unless care is taken.
>> This proposal promises to make the situation even more complicated.
>>
>> Also, what would this solve that using .htaccess files to override the
>> default values not solve aside from the rare settings that cannot be set
>> per directory?
>>

> Bear in mind that .htaccess has a very narrow use and it's kind oh thing
> Apache2 related and not PHP specific!

Most major webserver applications have an equivalent to .htaccess. Indeed,
IIS can bind PHP flags and values to environment values already if I recall
correctly, and has been able to do so for a very long time (though I
haven't played with IIS in over a decade so my memory could be wrong on
this).

You mention Docker - usually I've seen it used alongside Ansible, Chef or
Puppet. Each of these provisioning programs can modify the php.ini file
used on the container at deploy time without necessitating a change to PHP
itself.  What advantage does the community gain from moving these decisions
from the provision files to the php.ini file?