> On Jul 28, 2020, at 14:15, Ben Ramsey <b...@benramsey.com> wrote:

>>> IMO, there is no compelling reason to revote other than the fact that we
>>> have no process for what to do in this situation.
>>
>> What "situation" is this, exactly? AFICT we have a working implementation
>> using @@, with no technical hurdles to surmount. Or have I missed something
>> that now prevents @@ from working per its RFC?
>

> The new RFC outlines reasons why `@@` is a sub-optimal choice.

And yet it was the one chosen by the voting process. (Silly voters, making
sub-optimal choices!)

The rest of your message reveals what I thought was true: i.e., there are no
currently-verified technical barriers to @@. To wit:

> * current parser conflict (which can be worked around)

AFAICT that pre-existing problem has been fixed, so this is a non-issue.

> * possibility for further (as of yet unknown) parsing issues

IOW, imaginary issues, aka FUD.

> * a closing ] makes it easier to extend Attributes with more syntax,  and at
> the same time not be at the risk of running into parser conflicts

Maybe, maybe not. This has the strongest possibility of becoming a technical
argument, but no competing implementation (with a comparative implementation
using @@)  has been presented as an example. So as it stands now, this also is
imaginary.

> * userland analysis tools have difficulties parsing `@@`

Though it does not seem insurmountable for those userland authors. Also, this
is an interesting take: does Internals now defer to userland? If so, maybe it's
time to open up voting more widely, so that the whole of userland can be
represented more effectively here.

Again, I don't especially care if @@, <<>>, or #[], or something else makes it
through. Annotations of some sort seem like a nice idea, and I think they'd be
of benefit.

But if we are to make decisions by what is ostensibly a democratic process, we
should stick to the voted decisions, instead of re-voting issues until the
voters "get it right" according to some implicit and unstated criteria.  (If
re-voting over and over is the plan, I've got some RFCs I might like to revisit
as well.)

--
Paul M. Jones
pmjo...@pmjones.io