On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 7:44 PM Benjamin Eberlei <kont...@beberlei.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am going to pick up a discussion from
> https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/5915 about the @@Jit attribute.
>
> Nikita mentioned he is still not 100% clear what the usecase is for @@Jit
> attribute and asked to discuss here.
>
> The reason is that the default tracing JIT is clever to decide itself when
> to JIT or not, better not interfere with that. In case you run the tracing
> JIT, only @@Jit("off") has an effect the others @@Jit("tracing") and
> @@Jit("function") get ignored.
>
> Only the trigger mode 4 (attributes) is actually using @@Jit("tracing")
> and "function". This trigger mode feels like micro-management for
> developers and since it has virtually no spotlight in discussions and blog
> posts about the JIT at the moment, we don't know if it brings benefits.
>
> Maybe for now it would be better to remove docblock / attribute support
> for the JIT, and take a new attempt at it in 8.1? That prevents us from
> rolling something we regret having to maintain later.

I updated the PR https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/5915 with the
following things:

- Removed attribute trigger mode for now.
- Removed obsolete doc comment trigger mode
- Add @@Jit("off") to disable JIT for an op_array or script

Open questions:
- Are we ok with removing @Jit("on"), @@Jit("tracing") and
@@Jit("function") for now to thoroughly discuss best approach for 8.1?
- Rename @@Jit to something more specific like @@JitOptions or @@JitHint?
- Remove the attribute trigger constant 4, and move tracing JIT to use 4
instead of 5?

Outlook:

We need to think about what the @@Jit attribute should actually mean in
context of the function or tracing JIT. Personally it probably means
"Always Jit this function regardless of hot counter or tracing results".
I believe we don't need the attributes trigger mode, as everything happens
either in context of function or tracing JIT.