On 05/08/2020 18:10, David Rodrigues wrote:
With error supression remotion (9.0?) it could be used
for other new features easily.

Just to re-iterate something that I'm pretty sure has been said before: the chance of removing the error suppression operator in PHP 9.0 is approximately zero, and the chance of immediately re-using it is significantly lower.

We haven't even begun to design the replacement APIs that would make it unnecessary, e.g. atomic file access. Once those are in place, users need time to migrate to them before we could even start the deprecation and removal process.

Opportunities that might, depending on a whole bunch of other factors, come in PHP 10.0 or 11.0 are probably not a strong argument for a syntax option.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins (né Collins)
[IMSoP]