> This is some new complexity, even if only a small amount right now.
> My question remains about how much more added complexity it will
> require later if we implement extensions like nested attributes.

What? Are you actually saying that 30 lines of code add "complexity"? I
think you should look more at the PHP source code before going to these
nonsensical conclusions. PHP is a fully fledged language, not a "let's
write the shortest code possible" competition.

As for the nested attributes, you can implement those with simple
recursion. You are trying to create problems here that don't exist.

> Yes, PHP has historically been rather verbose in some ways.
> Thankfully this has been gradually changing, with the short array
> syntax added in 5.4, and more recently short arrow functions,
> constructor property promotion, and the match expression having an
> explicit goal to reduce verbosity.

No offense intended but saying that 1 extra character somehow adds
verbosity is quite honestly, one of the stupidest things I have heard.

While we at it, let's also rename other keywords: `function` to `f`,
`while` to `w` and `static` to `s`. You know, to save those few extra
characters.

> What is the goal of the grouped attribute construct? I still haven't
> received an answer about what makes it better than `@@`.

You can't compare attribute syntax against attribute feature. You better
tell me why `@@` is better than `@[]` using arguments and not with "boo, I
have to type 1 extra character with `@[]`".

As for the grouped attributes. Why do we allow grouped properties and class
constants? It's alternative code style that some might prefer.

> Aren't docblock annotations only wrapped in /** */ because they have to

be inside a comment? There is no need for this with the native
> attribute syntax. To me, the `#[]` and `@[]` tokens don't at all look
> similar to docblock comment boundaries, anyway.

Even more so with `@@`, which look nothing alike to docblocks. Just because
docblock annotations contain the same character as attribute syntax, it
doesn't magically mean "it's like docblocks". Because if so, `@[]` looks
far far more like docblocks than `@@`.

> Best regards,
> Theodore