On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 8:37 AM Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020, Theodore Brown wrote:
>
> > A second downside of @[] that doesn't appear to have been discussed
> > yet is typability. On my keyboard, it requires four different keys on
> > different sides of the keyboard, whereas @@ just requires two keys.
>
> They're the same on a US English/US International keyboard, both 4
> presses:
>
> For @@: Shift 2 Shift 2
> For @[]: Shift 2 [ ]
>
> In the case of @[], an IDE likely will automatically add the
> closing ].
>
> Additionally, on a US English/US International keybaord, Shift-2 (for @)
> is an awkward combination to type with the pinky and middle finger of
> your left hand.
>
> On a UK English, it's the same amount, with the @ a little easier than
> on a US English one, with: left-shift @/' [ ]
>
> So if you want to add typeability to the matrix, I can do that, but @@
> comes out worse.

How does @@ come out worse?

For @@: Shift, double-@
For @[]: Shift, @, left bracket

Even if your IDE autocompletes the closing bracket, @@ is faster to
type than @[] on common qwerty layouts. Also, it is easier to mistype
@[ as @] (I kept doing this multiple times when typing this reply).

Anyway, please do add easy typeability to the matrix, along with the
fact that the @@ syntax makes attributes easier to grep for. These
should have been in the matrix from the start, given that both were
mentioned as factors in the Shorter Attribute Syntax RFC.

When I originally wrote the Shorter Attribute Syntax RFC, I wasn't
aware that it was allowed to re-vote on failed syntax options without
waiting at least 6 months. Otherwise I would have included an option
to re-vote for the @: syntax.

Since apparently this is allowed now, can we also add @: as a voting
option? I have a patch for it here: https://github.com/theodorejb/php-src/pull/1

It seems pretty clear that the vote should be restarted anyway,
given that the RFC has already been heavily edited multiple times
after the voting started.

Kind regards,
Theodore