Hi Nikita,

Something potentially worth pointing out (and assuming I'm inferring the
> correct behavior here): If max_execution_wall_time is exceeded during an
> internal function call (which seems quite likely, as that's where there is
> the most potential for something to hang) and the function does not return
> within hard_timeout seconds, then the a process abort will be triggered.
> The hard_timeout is 2s by default. If any of the individual call timeouts
> are >= 2s, then it's not unlikely that this situation occurs.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I didn't realize this
consequence. I'm wondering though if it would be a sane idea to use the
current,
CPU time based timer for hard_limit even when max_execution_wall_time times
out? This way the process abort could be avoided in case of
most functions in question, if I got it right. Nevertheless, I'll update
the RFC with its relation to hard_timeout in the coming days.

As I'd like to proceed with this RFC soon, I'd appreciate any review and
constructive feedback. I have two questions for example:
- Is the max_execution_wall_time really the best setting name we can come
up with? What about something like max_execution_real_time?
- Would anyone miss a set_wall_time_limit() function?

Regards:
Máté