> I've updated the RFC with the following things:
> - The proposed error level is now E_DEPRECATED instead of E_STRICT
> - I added a new section for exposing the behavior to userland (this is a
> separate vote)

To build on your approach and mixing it with the need we discussed for
userland, I have a new proposal:

We should replace the SuppressReturnTypeNotice by the TentativeReturnType
one right away.
The TentativeReturnType would mean: "I'm going to add a return type to this
method in its next major".
As a consequence, for child classes of internal methods, this would
suppress the notice.
For userland, there are already ways to declare the planned return type
(aka @return in phpdoc), so we might not need any new way to declare this
from the engine pov.
As a corollary, adding this attribute should conflict with having a real
return type.

That would allow userland libs to immediately adopt the tag and be ready
for PHP 8.1.

WDYT?