On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 5:02 PM Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2021, at 9:03 AM, Nikita Popov wrote:
> > Hi internals,
> >
> > I would like to propose allowing the use of "new" inside various
> > initializer expressions: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/new_in_initializers
> >
> > In particular, this allows specifying object default values for
> properties
> > and parameters, and allows the use of objects as attribute arguments.
> >
> > The RFC is narrow in scope in that it only adds support for "new". An
> > extension to other call kinds should be straightforward though.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Nikita
>
> Hi Nikita.  What's the status of this RFC?  Are you going to bring it to a
> vote, or is something else blocking it?

I've just pushed a larger update to the RFC, which limits the places where
new is supported.

Supported:
 * Parameter default values (includes promoted properties)
 * Attribute arguments
 * Static variable initializers
 * Global constant initializers

Not supported:
 * Static and non-static property initializers
 * Class constant initializers

I believe the cases that are now supported should be completely unambiguous
and uncontroversial. The other cases have evaluation order issues in one
way or another. This is discussed in
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/new_in_initializers#unsupported_positions.

Regards,
Nikita