On Tue, Jun 22, 2021, at 11:46 AM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> Maybe this will help. There are a billion XML schemas, but DomDocument
> and its related classes can process them all. A SqlObjectModel would be
> similar; it would know how to process text queries where the dialect
> interface implementors would be the equivalent of the XML schema.
>
> It is not a perfect analogy, but it is close enough.

It's a very helpful analogy, actually.  SQL is 100x more complex of a language
than XML is.  XML is trivial by comparison.  That's exactly why what you
describe is vastly harder than you think it is, even if you limit yourself to
the rudimentary ancient SQL standards.

And a tool that breaks down and becomes unusable as soon as you start using
anything even vaguely modern is a tool I would rather *not* exist, quite
frankly, as it only further discourages anyone learning SQL beyond MySQL 3.

--Larry Garfield