On 25 August 2021 17:58:55 BST, Nicolas Grekas <nicolas.grekas+...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Le mar. 24 août 2021 à 21:09, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> a écrit :

>> >I want to state that I had no intention to compare the RFCs or even bring
>> >their merits into discussion. What I intended to show is that we have 8.0
>> >which had an RFC that would classify as Refinement RFC and 8.1 again
>> having
>> >another RFC that also classifies under the same category.
>>
>> That's where I disagree already. The nullable intersections RFC isn't a
>> refinement, it's a new feature.
>
>Can you please clarify what you want to express here? Your insistence in
>repeating that statement makes me read this as: "the nullable intersections
>RFC was not legal".

You're wanting to add a new feature during feature freeze, so yes, I wouldn't
have allowed it.

> If that's the case, I find that deeply disturbing,
>because I need to be allowed to discuss not-yet-released features during
>the freeze period.

Yes, suggesting tweaks to existing features is fine, up to a certain point.
Introducing new ones is not.

> Whether an RFC should be considered as a new feature
>should be the end of the discussion, not the abruptly-closing start. The
>reason is that there is no precise definition of what "a feature" means.

The RFC was "pure intersection types", with a scope decided by its author. That
RFC says no Union types.

>Maybe it's obvious for you in this case, but others shouldn't be denied the
>right to discuss the topic.

Discuss whatever you want, but that doesn't mean that a new feature RFC should
be allowed during a feature freeze.

>I think that we can reach a common agreement by working on the definition
>of what we mean by "Refinement RFC".
>
>Marco's gist defines them as "An RFC proposing changes, amendments,
>adjustments to the language while refining an unreleased change that has
>been approved." I'm sure we can improve it, but I mostly agree with this
>statement. My RFC falls under this definition,

I disagree that it does. Union intersection types is something that the pure
intersection types RFC ruled out.

> and that should be enough to
>end the debate around whether any particular post-feat-freeze RFCs are
>legal. I think we should focus our efforts on improving this definition,
>and move forward.

This is all moot, because that RFC hasn't been passed. I also don't think it's
necessary. If you want to disregard the concept of a feature freeze, that's
fine too. But not in the PHP project.

Cheers
Derick