Hi Stan,

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 5:10 AM Stanislav Malyshev <smalys...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > The crux of the issue is what our end goal is:
> >
> > 1. Require users to explicitly annotate classes that use dynamic
> > properties, but otherwise keep dynamic properties as a fully supported part
> > of the core language.
> > 2. Remove support for dynamic properties entirely. The core language only
> > has declared properties and __get/__set, and nothing else. stdClass is just
> > a very efficient implementation of __get/__set.
>
> I think goal (1) is reasonable for the long run, and goal (2) is taking
> it a bit too far for PHP.

I feel the same way. However my gut feeling tells me that we will end
up with (2) sooner or later. Having StdClass behaving differently
(even if it is technically not, I don't think the "it is a more
efficient get/set implementation" will make it through our users base)
looks inconsistent.

I don't know how others feel about it, I think most want to go the
path to (2) and a more strict, if not almost fully strict PHP. Core
devs to simplify the engine, users to allow them easier checks and
safety in their frameworks or libs. End user don't really bother as
far as I can see. We may have to decide once the long term vision for
PHP and then do the changes accordingly, and more importantly, with
consistency.

Best,
--
Pierre