On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 8:31 PM Rowan Tommins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 01/03/2020 21:23, Rowan Tommins wrote:
> > https://wiki.php.net/rfc/increment_decrement_fixes
>

> Hi all,
>
> I have just posted a substantially rewritten version of the above RFC.
>
> * The proposal to change boolean behaviour has been dropped.
> * More justification has been included for treating nulls differently.
> * The suggestion of raising errors just for the currently broken
> operators has been explicitly addressed.
>
> I would urge anyone who reacted instinctively to the original proposal
> to read this version, and engage with the reasoning it presents, even if
> they disagree with my conclusions.

For the record, increment/decrement on arrays, resources and objects now
throws due to https://wiki.php.net/rfc/arithmetic_operator_type_checks.

Personally I think it's fine to change the behavior of "$null--", to make
it consistent with "$null - 1" and "$null++".

Making "$null--" into a TypeError should imho only be done if we also make
other arithmetic on null a TypeError (e.g. $null + 1, $null * 2, etc.)

Regards,
Nikita