Hi Tim,

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 1:32 PM Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Please consider my RFC for locale-independent case conversion.
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/strtolower-ascii

very good one, thanks :)

> https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/7506

> The RFC and associated PR ended up going some way beyond the original
> scope, because for consistency, it's best if everything has the same
> concept of case folding. I saw this as an opportunity to clean up a
> common kind of locale-dependence in PHP which was previously inconsistent.

Good patch, I am commenting here as other or more discussions may be
better here.

I wonder if either JIT could be used for the intrinsics support,
adding neon, sse[2-4.2] or avc256/512 (the latter would basically
allow most common strings to be converted in one go.

If not, maybe split implementation however runtime cpu support would
be better. Many distributions built with SSE2 flags but are actually
ran on much recent CPUs, same for ARM (ie. graviton/neon f.e.).
Thoughts?

Maybe Dmitry has a better idea :)

Best,
--