On 22/12/2021 14:45, Hans Henrik Bergan wrote:
I wonder if anyone depends on utf8_* without also depending on mb_* ? I
imagine that is exceedingly rare

On the contrary, anyone who uses mb_* functions is likely to use mb_convert_encoding rather than utf8_encode and utf8_decode.

In fact, the only legitimate uses of the functions I've seen are as a fallback for when ext/mbstring is not loaded, since they are always available (since PHP 7.2; before that, they were oddly part of ext/xml). There is a very small set of use cases where you really do know you have or want ISO 8859-1, and they are the most portable implementation.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]