On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 6:59 PM Christoph M. Becker <cmbecke...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> a while ago it has been reported[1] that our header() function actually
> allows arbitrary status codes, which may even overflow.  Of course, that
> makes no sense, since the status code is supposed to be a three digit
> code.  So this ticket has been followed up by a pull request[2], and
> Jakub suggested to further restrict the status code to be in range 100 -
> 599.

Personally, I don't like restricting the status code to a number in the
100-599 range. As far as I know, RFC 7230 doesn't mandate anything beyond
the requirement of 3 digits and while 7231 may only specify semantics for
1xx-5xx, that doesn't mean there isn't a legitimate use-case in custom or
internal applications for status codes outside the usual semantics.

The overflow part is a legit bug which can and should be fixed, but I'd at
least question whether a user should be obliged to stick to conventional
HTTP semantics via the header() function, or even a strictly conformant
implementation of the standards defined 7320. Maybe this behaviour could be
default but overridable via a new, fourth optional parameter or something,
I don't know...but I can easily imagine someone having a legitimate context
in which they want to send status codes outside the usual range
representing custom semantics.