On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 at 23:12, Rowan Tommins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have hard facts to back it up, but my impression is that
> ext/mbstring is quite commonly installed, and required by apps and
> libraries. Unlike the other two, it has no system dependencies, because
> the implementation is entirely in PHP's source tree.

Thanks for confirming those details Rowan.

I'm just wondering, and this would not be necessary... considering how most
systems need to deal with UTF-8 data today, could an argument be made for
enabling etc/mbstring by default?

I'm fairly sure Ubuntu and CentOS need to install the package
`php-mbstring` separately; whereas my limited experience with cheep/shared
hosting, they tend to have it enabled.

Then `mb_convert_encoding()` could become the default suggested
alternative, and everyone could trust functions like `mb_strlen()` are
available as well.

Just for my own interest - technically mbstring uses libmbfl, but that's
already available from /ext/mbstring/libmbfl/

Craig