Happy middle of the week, everyone!

We’ve had another great turn-out for PHP Release Manager selection this year.

In the role of “Veteran” release manager, Ben Ramsey[0] (that’s me!) has
volunteered to mentor two rookies, so there will be two seats up for grabs. As
I mentioned in an earlier message, Joe and I discussed that it might be a good
practice to have one of the rookie RMs from the current release serve as the
veteran for the next release. In this way, any new advances or changes to the
process will be carried forward to the “next generation” much more smoothly.
So, we’re going to give that a try and see how well it works.

For those two rookie seats, we’ve got seven eager candidates for your
consideration [1-7]. Some of these included a statement about their background
in their initial email volunteering for the role, the rest I encourage to reply
to this thread providing some background on why they’ll be awesome.

Voting is now open on https://wiki.php.net/todo/php82 using “Single
Transferrable Vote” (STV). Those who participated in prior elections will
recognize the format; for the rest, the TL;DR is that it allows each voter to
state their preference order by voting multiple times. There are seven polls on
the wiki for your seven preferences, in descending order. Using some math that
I’ll leave to Wikipedia[8] to explain, we’ll start with the 1st preference and
gradually remove candidates with the fewest votes, transferring votes that had
previously gone to them to their voter’s 2nd preference, and so on. Once two
candidates have a quorum (Droop quota), those will be officially selected as
our RMs. Derick Rethans has volunteered to proctor the tabulation of the votes
since he still has scripts from last year.

As you consider each candidate, please bear in mind that this is a 3.5 year
commitment and is a position of trust.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Your 8.1 Release Managers,
Ben Ramsey, Patrick Allaert, & Joe Watkins

Vote Opens: 11 May 2022
Vote Closes: 18 May 2022

Refs:
0 - Ben Ramsey: https://news-web.php.net/php.internals/117664