On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 12:04 AM Max Kellermann <max+...@blarg.de> wrote:

> On 2023/02/28 21:16, Dmitry Stogov <dmitrysto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Recently we voted for inluce cleanup RFC
> > https://wiki.php.net/rfc/include_cleanup and it was declined.
> > Despite that a series of code refactoring commits from Max were silently
> > merged into the master.
> > As this is a violation of the community rules and we should do something.
>
> I don't get any of that.  Please be more specific.
>
> Which community rule was violated by whom?

Merging the things that were rejected. You may name this differently but
this is still code refactoring.

In your opinion, what exactly does the outcome of the vote mean?  Does
> it mean that include cleanups are now forbidden (despite being wanted
> by the majority of voters)?  Or does it mean that nothing changes
> because no new rule has taken effect?  (I asked that already, but
> nobody replied.)

Include cleanups RFC was rejected.
No refactoring RFC was presented.
A lot of changes that affect all core contributors are committed into
master.

If you think this is questionable, we may ask for help from some arbitr.

> What do you mean by "merged silently"?  All of my PRs were submitted
> in the public, and everybody had a chance to comment on these (which
> you did, for example, in https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/10641).
> It usually takes a week or so before they are merged.  If you feel
> that is not enough time, why not post a RFC and vote on a mandatory
> minimum review duration for all merges/pushes?

I don't review every PR. Only when I asked. I'm mainly busy with new
development and bug fixes.

> Though, by contrast, you merge most of your own PRs shortly after you
> create them without any code review.  Quite often, you even push
> commits without any PR.  In my opinion, that's more "silent" than my
> work, don't you agree?

Currently, I merge into master only bug fixes.
And yes, sometimes my fixes may introduce new bugs.
My new development is done in a separate branch and will be presented in
RFC when ready.

> Which specific commits do you wish to revert?  Is this about include
> cleanups (none of which were merged) or about header splitting (which
> a supermajority voted for) or about other kinds of code refactoring
> (which was not voted on)?

All code refactoring commits.
Can you imagine you commited something like this into Linux, JVM, GCC?

> > Then most of the work should be done in a separate branch and merged
> > into the master all together after a final review.
>
> The problem with merge conflicts was your major complaint about branch
> merging (and that was only about merging bug fixes, not about merging
> two volatile branches together) - and now you suggest something that
> will certainly lead to merge conflicts because your suggestion
> postpones the big merge for as long as possible.  That will inflict
> major pain to PHP maintainers (though not to outside contributors like
> me, so why would I care).

PHP-6 was developed in a separate branch and we were able to stop it when
understood that it is not good enough.
PHPNG was developed in a separate branch and was presented and accepted
only when we showed the benefits.
A new JIT has been developed in a separate branch for more than a year...

> Another big problem: if it's uncertain that some changes ever get
> merged, because the "final review" may reject it after months or years
> of work, nobody will ever want to clean up the PHP code again, because
> it's very likely that you'll veto it again, and then all the time
> would be wasted.  Not a great prospect.  If you want to scare away
> contributors, that's how to do it.

As I said, I won't object to the terms of accepted RFC.
I already made much more noise than I liked.

My opinion is: if a patch improves a piece of code, it should be
> merged.  Of course, whether something is an improvement is debatable;
> but postponing that decision is pointless and harmful.

Changing code back and force without a plan is also harmful.
I proposed to you a way to do what you like in agreement with other
contributors.
Doing this without agreement won't work.

Thanks. Dmitry.