On Thu, 18 May 2023 at 09:12, Marco Pivetta <ocram...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure this RFC is really relevant... Would it perhaps
> make sense to have this in userland first, in phpstan or psalm
> plugins, to see if there is interest?

The RFC lists other languages where an equivalent is available, and we
can see that it appears quite popular:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/94361/when-do-you-use-javas-override-annotation-and-why
https://github.com/microsoft/TypeScript/issues/2000

In those languages, it is a recommended "defensive programming"
(https://ocramius.github.io/extremely-defensive-php/#/23) technique,
that protects against the types of mistakes that are listed in the
RFC.

So one should be able to see there is interest....unless of course
someone is so bad at basic human empathy, that they can't accept other
people's lived experiences as valid, and will only accept something as
'good programming practice' if they have invented or experienced it
themselves.

But if that's the case, there's no use trying to persuade them.

All you can do is point out that habit of not liking things that they
haven't yet used/invented themselves, and hope that other people don't
spend too much time arguing with someone who has a pattern of being
unreasonable.

cheers
Dan
Ack