Hey Christian

Thank you for going through my proposal.

On 04/09/2023 09:23, naitsi...@e.mail.de wrote:
> Am 02-Sep-2023 21:41:50 +0200 schrieb dossche.ni...@gmail.com:
>> Hello internals
>>
>> I'm opening the discussion for my RFC "DOM HTML5 parsing and serialization
>> support".
>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/domdocument_html5_parser
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Niels
>>
>> --
>>

> Hi Niels,
>
> thank you for your proposal and your work on this.
>
>> This proposal introduces the DOM\HTML5Document class that extends the
>> DOMDocument class. The reason we introduce a new class instead of replacing
>> the methods of the existing class is to ensure full backwards compatibility.
>
> Although I do not dislike your idea with a new class for HTML5 parsing I have
> one question. Why not make the decision, which parser to use, dependent from
> the doctype declaration at the start of the html document?
There's three major reasons to not depend solely on the doctype:
1) Not all documents have a doctype. So in that case, do we have to pick the
old parser or the HTML5 parser?
2) People create DOM documents from scratch, without loading some code or file
first.
   In that case, we can't choose upfront if the document is an HTML5 document
or a legacy document.
   I believe that by using a class, and thus having a clear choice upfront,
this minimizes surprises.
3) Having a separate class allows us to use the type system to restrict some
users to only allow HTML5 documents.

> Best regards
> Christian

Kind regards