On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 7:06 PM Tim Düsterhus <t...@bastelstu.be> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 9/8/23 18:49, Alexandru Pătrănescu wrote:
> >
> > I think 12 looks reasonable.
> > I've performed some tests myself on private hosted servers with
> > newer hardware with good results for 12 around 0.1 seconds.
>
> wow, that is a 33% reduction even compared to the Xeon E-2246G and thus
> hard to believe. What CPU is that?

That was a new Xeon Gold 5416S.
I got lucky being able to run some tests on it before being pushed to
production replacing a slightly older one, a Xeon Gold 5218.
I'll be able to test that as well, but I feel like anyway the hardware I
used is not what is usually in general.
Actually, it is even less relevant, as it is meant to be used by a high
performing MySQL server and not for running PHP.

> > Pushing it to 8.4 will delay the real usage with 2-3 more years already.
>
> IMO this is fine. Common frameworks can and do already use a different
> default. Symfony apparently is at 13 by default. Laravel uses 10, but
> I've already pinged someone on Mastodon to maybe have a look at the
> results of this RFC:
>
> https://phpc.social/@timwolla/111025125667858110
>
> The current default of 10 is not insecure and rolling this out a little
> more slowly will mean that more and more of the old and slow hardware
> will be retired and replaced by modern hardware, lessening the impact.

Understood, yes, I agree.

> > I feel like the hardware performance improvements (specifically single
> > thread performance) slightly increased in the past 3-4 years, and soon
> most
> > of the hosting providers will be using it.
> >

>  From my experience as a developer of a software that is commonly run on
> shared hosting, web hosters *love* their ancient hardware, because it's
> fully depreciated from a taxation / accounting PoV and every extra day
> it is used is "free money". Customers commonly are not able to tell they
> are running with tens of other customers on this ancient hardware and
> thus won't complain ("loading times of 1 second are fine").

Yes, I think I evaluated the hardware upgrade lifecycle to be around 5
years, but in reality it's 10-15 years.
And also the CPU options used by hosting providers are cost oriented, to
get the most performance per dollar.

Thank you,
Alex