On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 8:57 PM Tim Düsterhus <t...@bastelstu.be> wrote:

> While this is not a bug fix that is appropriate for the current stable
> branches, I don't see why it would not be appropriate for PHP 8.4 if
> there's an RFC for it.
>
> In fact there is already a rounding bugfix (no RFC for that) in PHP 8.4:
>

> https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/65a8c70f93ccb7e008de147cd4c357681c653bd0/UPGRADING#L75-L82

This is however very different case as it is still following the currently
voted rounding RFC so it is a more bug fix.

Changing the return type of a heavily used function is a completely
different matter. It will break for anyone using is_float or expecting the
float in some other way. I realise that there is an implicit conversion so
it's not such a huge problem most of the time but there might be case where
it is an issue.

I don't see it as a bug fix in any way. It's more just an implication of
the return type being a float.

I think we should always weight the implication of the break. The way that
I see it that some small breaks are acceptable for minor version but bigger
breaks should be done only in major version. I would consider this (and
anything changing a return types) as a bigger break.

Cheers

Jakub