On 28 October 2023 15:40:29 BST, Saki Takamachi <s...@sakiot.com> wrote:
>Hi Marc,
>
>Personally, I don't think these are necessarily necessary since there is a
>"from format".

As noted on the PR, both the default constructor and createFromFormat require
the input to be converted to a string, which tends to make code messy. It's
then converted back to an integer internally, which isn't very efficient.

I would be in favour of adding this method.

>I have one concern. float is imprecise, so I don't think it's suitable for
>this kind of use. For timestamps, 16 digits are used, which exceeds the
>guaranteed precision of 15 digits on non-IBM platforms.

I'm not sure where you got those numbers; on a 64-bit architecture (surely the
vast majority of PHP installs), a float can precisely represent any whole
number from -2**53 up to 2**53 - 1. As a Unix timestamp, that's a one-second
accuracy for any time 285 million years into the past or future.
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=2**53+as+unix+timestamp

Possibly you're thinking of a representation that counts integers as
milliseconds or microseconds, instead of seconds?

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]