On Saturday, 24 February 2024 at 01:57, Juliette Reinders Folmer
<php-internals_nos...@adviesenzo.nl> wrote:

> Hi Gina,
>
> I'm not sure a pet-peeve is a good motivation for creating an (I expect
> large) breaking change.
>
> The upgrade path, I suppose, would be updating calls to `die`/`exit` to
> always have parentheses ? Or alternatively changing those calls to new throw
> expressions ?
>
> While that shouldn't be that huge a problem for real codebases (and would be
> auto-fixable for adding the parentheses), the bigger problem I see is the
> huge amount of teaching materials, tutorials and blog posts using the
> versions without parentheses which will now all be invalidated. I think the
> pain and confusion that will cause for a change like this, will linger for
> years and years.
>
> Smile,
> Juliette

I didn't actually know one could do exit;
But like I said, it is extremely easy to support, and the current PR does
support it by hooking into the undefined constant code in the engine.
I don't have strong opinions about removing support for this.
However, I do have strong opinions about changing the type juggling semantics
of exit() to be the usual ones, because the current one is just confusing.
I am also not sure what would make this a large breaking change, as changing
this from a language construct to a function provides us with more capabilities.

Best regards,
Gina P. Banyard