On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 5:26 PM Christian Schneider
<cschn...@cschneid.com> wrote:

> Am 30.03.2024 um 16:35 schrieb Daniil Gentili <daniil.gent...@gmail.com>:
> >> That would break lots of tools as it requires extra dependencies so it is
> >> not something that would could in stable versions.
> > Btw, I do not believe that "it would require end users to install autotools
> > and bison in order to compile PHP from tarballs" is valid reason to delay
> > the patching of a serious attack vector ASAP.
>
> I agree with Jakub that removing configure would just shift the problem, not
> solve it, while at the same time puts a new burden on people compiling PHP
> from downloaded archives.
>
> But my main question is: I fail to see the difference whether I plant my
> malicious code in configure, configure.ac or *.c: Someone has to review the
> changes and notice the problem. And we have to trust the RMs. What am I
> missing?
>
> Regards,
> - Chris

There are probably multiple parties that require trust: the people
hosting the CI servers, the people with access to the CI servers, the
RM, and maybe more that I can't think of right now.

One option would be to have

- CI push the code + generated files to a git-branch `php-8.3-built`
(or something) so that changes can be reviewed, along with the
tarball.
- CI signs the commit and tarball.
- RM checks out commit and, also signs the tarball, then does a git
commit --amend --signoff and "blesses" the commit
- RM releases tarball